Our Harley Days
Our Rides... Our Adventures... Our Family and Friends...
Traveling free and easy down a road that never ends...

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day 2012

November 11, 2012
Colorado, USA


I am a military brat. I am the proud daughter of a USAF Vietnam Veteran. I am the proud wife of a USAF Vietnam Era Veteran. I often joke that I have 28 years of service myself (a veteran's daughter for nearly 20 active duty years, a veteran's wife for 8 active duty years). All in all I have 50 some odd years of Veteran appreciation under my belt. I am the niece of Veteran uncles. I am proud friend to many Veterans. Needless to say, Veterans have always played a huge part in my life and continue to do so today. Talk about counting your blessings!

I saw an interview with children a good while back. The children were asked a simple question, "Who is your hero?" The children were very young so as you might expect, the answers were quite imaginative. Fireman. Policeman. Sponge Bob (Oh me!). Harry Potter (of course!). Batman (I had to grin at that answer). When a child answered with Dad or Big Brother, the interviewer asked what Dad or Big Brother did for a living. The children answered car salesman, teacher, banker and one child rolled his eyes and said in a duh sort of manner - he's a DAD.

What struck me as interesting about the answers is this in particular: Not one child answered Soldier. I am guessing there were no military children in the group because most military children are well acquainted with the concept that military/soldier/veteran types are heroes - by default. In fact, when I was a kid, the whole mine-is-bigger-than-yours base housing playground mentality was all about whose Dad worked on the biggest, fastest airplane. I thought about it and wondered what sort of answer I would have given then and now -- and I am fairly certain I would have answered My Dad is my Hero, followed by the proud announcement -- he is in the Air Force and works on jet engines!

Yep, that would have been my answer - then and now. My Dad is my Hero, he is a USAF Vietnam Veteran Patriot Guard Ride Captain.

Digression: I am assuming that most people think of heroes as male. A female "hero" in my day would have been distinguished with the sexist (or so some claim) label of "heroine". Personally, I do not see anything offensive about the word heroine. But then, I come from a gene pool of tough women secure in the strength and purpose of their gender.

There are many heroines in my life, the first and foremost being my lovely, supportive patriotic Mom, but that is another story.


I do not use this blog as a political platform. I have other outlets for that BS. But, with Veterans Day coming hard on the heels of the contentious USA presidential election I am going there for a brief moment - only to make a point.

When I was a child the answers to the interview question would have been similar in some regards. I am fairly certain that fireman and policeman would have made the list along with Batman and probably Superman. Soldier or Sailor, Pilot or Astronaut would have made the list. Perhaps a baseball or football player would have made the list. That's back when athletes cared enough to be positive role models. There is a decided shortage of athletes who fit that bill right now, in my opinion. John Wayne, The Lone Ranger and Captain Kangaroo certainly would have made the list. And, I am positive President Kennedy or another president would have made the list. All I can think is how sadly thankful I am that not one of this era's children named a politician or hollywood star of any sort as their hero including the sitting president. Ha!

Like a good many people concerned with the outcome of this particular election and even more concerned about the direction in which the country seems to be moving, I stressed over the outcome of the election - for about 24 hours. I guess you can say for a day I stomped around because somebody got on what Merle Haggard calls the fighting side of me. Ha! Then, I hopped on the back of the Harley for a mid-week BTGTW (before Tim goes to work) lunch ride and left all that stuff somewhere by the side of the road. It is amazing how a few miles with the wind in your face can dispel the blues of any magnitude.

Afterwards, I temporarily banished my worries about the future of my country by turning off the TV, the cell phone and disengaging from social networks and sat down to write the rough draft of this post for Veteran's Day. On my mind were the Patriot Guard Rider/Veterans in my hometown in Texas standing the flag line today (the day after the election) at a WWII Veteran's funeral services.

As I was sorting through the photos of my favorite Veteran (good ol' Dad) which I will share below, I suddenly saw the Veterans and Patriots of his acquaintance and mine in a different light and realized the solution for my woes was right in front of me. I mean, I was struggling with exactly how to be the Patriotic American I have always been in today's America... I felt sort of like an American-Misfit-Patriot-Outcast so-to-speak. Trust me, as I put the polish on this post I can affirm it was a temporary indisposition. I was making it all about politics and realized what I knew all along - duh - being an American has nothing to do with the tawdry business of politics.

Let's see if I can explain it: The Veterans I know have served their country in many different ways, for a variety of reasons and in different durations. Dad served in the USAF for 20 years including a stint with helicopters in Vietnam, friend Ray (aka Tex) served with boots on the ground in Vietnam for a couple of years before being wounded in what was a tour in hell, one of my social network friends served as a WAC, a couple of other friends served in the Navy somewhat removed from the center of the action and Tim also served a bit removed from the action in Vietnam (B52's on Guam) during his eight year USAF service. Aside from the Vietnam era, I have hugged the neck and shook the hand of Korean Conflict and WWII Veterans, not to mention many Gulf War Vets and young men and women currently serving. I know Veterans who served during peacetime and parents of Veterans who are serving and have served, some who have paid the ultimate price. I am proud and humbled to count Gold Star Parents among my friends. (I guarantee you know nothing about humility until a thank you gift arrives in the mail from a Gold Star Mother thanking you for the small contribution you made to a Gold Star Mom event.) (Or you see a WWII Veteran shake the hand of a Vietnam Veteran says Tim.)

A good many of the Veterans I know are Patriot Guard Riders (standing for those who stood for us), including Dad (my favorite Vet). Pictures of Dad and his Veteran buddies out and about doing what they do were the photos I was rummaging through.

And this is what was revealed to me:

Americanism is a matter of the mind and heart... Before my very eyes sat the best example of FDR's Americanism I have ever witnessed. Real Americans. The kind of American I am and will always be. I will never again doubt the veracity of it. No politician will ever again be able to redefine or undermine that which I know to be true. America is a force to be reckoned with and will not succumb to the whim of some arrogant, big-ear, pencil-neck, boot licking, kiss-butt, bureaucrat - not while my heroes are breathing.

Here are the heroes of my America - politics be damned. Veterans standing shoulder to shoulder, flag in hand, respect being the order of the day. Veterans astride motorcycles with flags streaming behind them. Veterans behind shades, chins slightly dipped in respect. Veterans snapping a misty-eyed salute as Old Glory marches by. Veterans getting a bit choked up when they get to the words o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave... Hoary-headed Veterans, grizzled, bone-tired, weary though they may be rising to the day's challenge. Veterans calmly going about the business of honor and duty with unfailing loyalty and firm resolve. Veterans who will go it alone if something needs doing. Veterans clearing trash from a neglected cemetery. Veterans placing a wreath on a forgotten soldier's grave. Veterans with a clear-eyed, stern countenance under bills of patriotic hats. Veterans with a firm grip on the elbow of other less able-bodied Veterans. Veterans ready with hands extended in camaraderie and friendship. Veterans offering the solace of huggable necks. Veterans who in the width of their stance and the pride of their bearing convey strength, integrity, endurance and unwavering courage. Veterans who in the core of their beings understand the ideology of America will thrive because men and women such as they have risen and will rise again without qualm and see her through whatever force of adversity places a stranglehold on liberty and justice. Veterans understand the cost of FREEDOM and still venture forth to pay the price.

Today American Veterans across the nation are engaging in patriotic activities honoring veterans past and present. Many of them I know are riding with the North Texas Patriot Guard as they go about the business of the day. Hopefully they will get a handshake and a heartfelt Thank You For Your Service! somewhere along their busy way today. Ride safe - Stand Tall. You make me proud.

This is my tribute to all Veterans today. I SALUTE YOU! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, INTEGRITY AND FORTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR BEING THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF AMERICAN GRACE UNDER FIRE. In a world where alleged leaders have to "toot" their own horn and decimate the reputation of others to serve their own egotistical, self-serving agendas in tiresomely repetitive rhetoric - it is comforting to know that some heard the drummer and quietly and unequivocally answered the call of duty long ago because it was the "right" thing to do. Those few brave, independent souls are doing the right thing still. Today. Nobody tells them to do it. Hardly anyone ever applauds them for doing it. They do it naturally because being a Veteran defines them in ways that those who have not served will never understand. We know being a patriot is never the "popular" thing to do. Thank goodness for that - because there is not a Veteran of my acquaintance who gives a hoot about the mainstream perversion of principles dictated by popularity! I don't know about you, but I am still waiting for the American Veteran Reality TV Show because I cannot bear to watch the other c-r-a-p that passes for reality these days.

Finally, Thank You Veterans, past and present for reminding me who I am by being who you are. American Veterans - my Heroes one and all.

This is my favorite definition of a hero.

Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid... He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world. -- Raymond Chandler

Here is a slide show of what my Veteran Dad (and a few of his buddies) has been up to this year (45 photos, more or less):
Alternative link to this slide show

Footnote: Yep! The Fat Lady may be singing in the other camp (for now), but I have faith that the Star Spangled Banner and a couple of dozen Old Vets on Harleys will drown the bitch out.

P.S. Tim says the beer is on him next time we meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ride safe. Ride free. Thanks for visiting Our Harley Days. Your feedback is appreciated. -V- P.S. All comments are moderated - spammers get your jollies elsewhere.