Our Harley Days
Our Rides... Our Adventures... Our Family and Friends...
Traveling free and easy down a road that never ends...

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Helmet Head

July 19, 2008
Fort Collins, CO

Harley Day 2 & 3

Day 1: It was Tim's birthday so we didn't have riding 101 until the heat of the afternoon. I went budin-budin in the garage for a few minutes, then we took it out on the street. Oh man - I told Dad, I rode really badly up the cul de sac and back and that may be an understatement. Ha!

Day 2: I actually rode my bike today! We went to the parking lot at the high school this morning while it was still cool. I followed Tim in the Tahoe. We won't be doing that very long but since we have to cross a major intersection - it's safer for now. I made the first couple of woogity woogity rounds, with feet dangling, then I got my feet up on the pegs and things went a little smoother. I went straight then left straight then left, and so on -- start and stop (still working on a smooth stop and managing the throttle). Still having to think my way through things but it was definitely an improvement over yesterday. Keep in mind I'm traveling in first gear at the lightning speed of 10-12 mph. Ha!

Then, I got a little feisty and decided I'd do some right turns... made a couple of those OK but I fall down and go boom on the third one. I got wide in the turn, too much throttle, then not enough, then I braked a little too hard, wheels weren't straight and down we went. Yep, I got up saying I know exactly what I did wrong. I knew but didn't have enough experience yet to correct it. No excuses. It was my Boo-Boo. Now that I have that out of my system -- I don't have to do that again. Not to worry, I have an itty-bitty ding on my elbow and the bike has a couple of minor scuffs. Fortunately, my butt mostly broke the fall.

I stopped for a few minutes, got a drink of water and got right back on it. No pics today - we forgot the camera this morning. I am having a blast. I'm tired and a little stiff but strangely exhilarated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ride safe. Ride free. Thanks for visiting Our Harley Days. Your feedback is appreciated. -V- P.S. All comments are moderated - spammers get your jollies elsewhere.