Our Harley Days
Our Rides... Our Adventures... Our Family and Friends...
Traveling free and easy down a road that never ends...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day Tribute 2008

November 11, 2008
Fort Collins, CO

On June 1, 1954 President Eisenhower signed legislation changing the name of Armistice Day to Veteran’s Day. Was it 1954 Dad - when you signed with the US Air Force? Why don't I know what day that was in 1954? Dad answered this question - July 19, 1954 - and yeah I knew it -- let's call it temporary amnesia.

Other dates of personal significance in 1954:
July 19, 1954 - Tim is born
October 26, 1954 - Ted and Inez get married.

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.

With that said, today is not one of those days in this house. Veteran's Day ranks high in observance in this household. We will fly the flag. We will pay our respects. I grew up an Air Force brat, attending parades and air shows and other military observances in honor of our Veterans. Later, I became an Air Force wife. Today, I honor my Dad (USAF retired), my husband (USAF - 8 years), and many others who have so valiantly served our country. I honor the soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice and the families of those men and women who have so selflessly endured the commitments made by their loved ones to preserve our freedom.

Dad continues to honor and preserve the memory of all Veterans by participating as a member of the Patriot Guard Riders. Many of the pics in the following clip in which I have made DAD a star were taken at various events he attended this year. And, I threw in a few oldies just for fun. There's music - so turn it up.

Finally, I just want to say -- Way to go, DAD.
Veterans Day Tribute 2008


I had fun putting this together. I knew the song I wanted for it, but the title escaped me so it took a while for me to find it. Here it is - my first slide show movie - starring DAD. Enjoy! -V-

SONG OF THE PATRIOT
Johnny Cash - Marty Robbins

I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man
I love mom and apple pie,
And the freedoms that we all enjoy across this beautiful land

I work hard and I fight hard for the old Red, White, and Blue
And I'll die a whole lot harder if it comes to where I have to
I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man

And when I see old Glory waving
I think of all the brave men who have fought and died for what is right and wrong
And when I see old Glory burnin, my blood begins to churnin
And I could do some fightin' of my own

I don't believe in violence, I'm a God fearing man
But I'll stand up for my country just as long as I can stand
Cause I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man

I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man
And I enjoy the liberty of being what I want to be and achieve any goals that I can

I was taught to turn the other cheek, but daddy used to say
Walk soft and pack a big stick, but never walk away
I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man

And When I see old Glory waving
I think of all the brave men who have fought and died for what is right and wrong
And when I see old Glory burnin, my blood begins to churnin
And I could do some fightin' of my own

Cause I love all my brothers and were proud of our group
We've got the greenest country here on God's green earth
I'm a flag waving, patriotic nephew of my Uncle Sam
A rough riding fighting Yankee man

For more about the History of Veteran's Day see:
http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ride safe. Ride free. Thanks for visiting Our Harley Days. Your feedback is appreciated. -V- P.S. All comments are moderated - spammers get your jollies elsewhere.